June 23, 2011

Restoration in the Limousin: Dining Room


The dining room for me conjures up memories of dinners and simple
suppers with family and friends and I want to create the same feel in
the house in the Limousin. It's an old Farmhouse and has a lovely
beamed ceiling throughout and oaks floors. Right now they're rather
shabby but with some restoration, polish and lots of elbow grease
they will look splendid and dare I say it... chic!


I have a large light sandy coloured sisal rug that will protect the
flooring and act as an anchor for the dining table and chairs. The
dining table, preferably old and in oak, will have that slightly
make-do and mend air to it with a set of ladderback chairs sharing
a similar rustic patina. With a love of old linens, the table would be
draped in white and ivory table runners in beautiful antique
French damask. To soften the chairs, I would place small
lumber pillows in linen.


Lighting is important throughout a house and in the dining room it
can be the 'piece de la resistance'. With this in mind, I shall place a
wonderfully over the top antique crystal chandelier above the dining
table to add some sparkle and light to the space.


I've spent weeks looking at an array of buffet's but I think I like the
open style. It offers up lots of options and storage. Another much
needed piece of furniture will be a large armoire or French country
cupboard to house all my antique and vintage china, glassware and cutlery.


Either side of the buffet, I would love a pair of crystal candelabra's
to create some soft mood lighting.


With the honey hues from all the wood, I think more light may be
a necessary factor so a beautiful antique mirror would be an excellent
addition without having to fuss with electrics; will also look
rather spectacular.


the final touch comes direct from Mother Nature -
beautiful floral displays -
hopefully from one's own garden...

Dining should never be rushed. It is a time to slow down and
enjoy the simple pleasures of life with friends and family

Bon appetit

Jo xx

PS: Your comments are always welcome

Photography:
1. Chris Tubbs for Perfect English,
2. Via Google, 3. Chateau Moussac, 4. Nina Hartman
5. Unknown, 6. Polly Wreford for At Home with White,
7. Peonies via Google, tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment